Friday, November 14, 2008

Theo's Metro: how Kingston, PA does Greek food

Ah, Greece. Greek food is often the combination of the many influences and cultures that surround this island nation. I was traveling for business, and I am always on the lookout for new foods. I found this little unassuming restaurant via CitySearch.com, one of my favorite places to find restaurants while I travel

Nestled in a quiet neighborhood in Kingston, PA, I had to drive by it once to find it. According to their web site, it is on the site of a former popcorn factory. The historic building has been preserved and features a beautiful dining room complete with an indoor fountain. There is parking in the front on the street as well as a large parking lot in the rear. I walked around the building once to make sure I was in the correct location.

Upon entering via the front door, I found a nice little bar with a few patrons seated there. Since it was my first visit (of many, I hope), I sat down at the bar and ordered a Yeungling lager...a Philadelphia staple. I was served promptly and given a menu.

The vegetarian selection was small but had all the classics. Roasted vegetable moussaka, spinach pie, and vegetarian dolmathes were the primary vegetarian entrees. There were also pasta dishes, but I try no to eat pasta outside of my home. I opted for the moussaka as it was the one dish on their menu with which I had the least experience. I am still learning to eat eggplant as i have not been a vegetarian for a long time. I elected the lemon potatoes and a greek salad as well.

The mousaka was piping hot when it arrived. It was layered with eggplant, tomatoes, and onions. This was covered in a cheese bechemal sauce. This dish is baked, and there is nothing friend about it...for which I was quite thankful. It was absolutely delicious and plalatable for the novice eggplant eater. Now, the potatoes....where do I start? They were recommended to my by not only the bartender but several patrons. Fantastic. Slightly lemon-y with a firm texture. No frills...just great taste.

Everything about the food (quality, amount, flavor, texture) was great. I was plessantly surprised with the modest size of the dish, as I am much more content leaving a restaurant satisfied and not stuffed. Coupled with the tasty greek salad, this was more than enough food. The salad was also served with hot bread and butter.

Overall, I think this was a great value. I walked out of the restaurant about $22 lighter, but it was absolutely worth the time I spent there. The local patrons were very friendly, and the staff did a fantastic job attending to me while I was there. The owner, Peter (an older, very distinguished gentleman), came out to chat with me about the restaurant and what I thought about it.

Bottom line: I always analyze the value (price vs. quality/service) when I go to a restaurant, and the value here is high. I hope to make it back to Theo's Metro on my next trip to Pennsylvania.

No comments: