Thursday, November 13, 2008

Amber Indian: Scranton, PA

Here is a recent post that I made for CitySearch.Com. The food was great, and it was a huge pleasure to eat there. I recommend the Kaju Kari. I have never had that before eating here, and it was awesome.

My post on CitySearch.com contained the following:

If you are in the Wilkes-Barre / Scranton area, I will highly recommend that you check this restaurant out. Being a vegetarian and traveling (I am from Indiana) often forces me to drive a little further than I would normally go for food. This place was definitely worth the 15-mile drive I had to make to get there. The service was a little slow at first, but I was by myself. That can throw things off a bit.

I ordered vegetable pakorah as an appetizer. There was a little too much batter in places, but the veggies were just right. The accompanying sauces were tasty as well. The vegetarian menu was larger than some I have seen in various Indian restaurants across the country. The unique dishes I saw here were a stuffed gourd dish and 'kajur kari' which was whole cashews in an onion gravy (which I ordered). Delicious. There were other dishes that I wanted to try but knowing I could only eat one led me one of the most unique (if not the most simple) I have seen.

The spicy-level was just right...I like it extremely spicy, and they hooked that up for me too. I also ordered some ghobi paratha (mashed cauliflower naan), and that was also good. It was a little soggy in the middle, but I would expect a little of that given we are talking about vegetables. I also ordered their Indian tea (chai), which was also quite good for $2.

Over all, the value was great. They have modestly priced entrees, and the quality and flavor of the food was extremely high. You should go to this restaurant if you like Indian food. My experience was good. I hope yours will be too.

No comments: