Thursday, November 20, 2008

La Indita: Tucson Vegetarian Mexican

So, here I am in Tucson, AZ. I have spent a lot of time here in the past few years as my wife's family lives here. I have eaten at countless Mexican restaurants here, but one really stands out because it caters to my new found, meatless diet: La Indita.

This is not your ordinary Mexican restaurant. They serve food in the 'Michoacan Tarascan Indian' style that is outside of the normal southwestern Mexican style in and about Tucson. The mural in the restaurant as you walk in depicts the village in which the proprietor's grandmother was raised. Rumor has it that in tough times, mushrooms and potatos were substituted for meat to give her family a balanced, healthy diet. The recipes live on in this restaurant as well as the ambience and flair of a the small Mexican village. There are a proverbial metric-ton of vegetarian entrees on the menu, but your omnivorous friends will not leave dissatisfied either.

I was dining with three other vegetarians, so this was an obvious choice. We all love the mushroom or potato tacos, spinach enchiladas, and Tarascan tacos (closed, fried tacos). The Tecate was flowing for around $2 per can, and the chips / salsa are phenomenal. They fry the toritalls that they make on site to provide the crispy, hot chips for dipping in their tasty salsa. The salsa is medium-spiced (for the layperson)...I find it mild, but it is delicious nonetheless. When we were there, the proprietor had injured her leg, so the service was a bit slow. They are accommodating despite the fact that they were so short handed.

We sampled a wide variety of food while we where there. We had several Tarascan tacos (bean and cheese) in addition to multiple enchiladas (mushroom, spinach, and bean). I could eat the Tarascan tacos until I am sick, but I opted to simply just roll myself out after the meal. We all also had potato tacos, which are a delightful treat compared to the simple bean or chesse tacos that you can normally acquire at Mexican joints in Indy.

The portions were ample, and you won't leave hungry. I always preach about value in a restaurant, and the value here is very high. It is not your typical Mexican restaurant, so leave your ideas about Mexican food at the door. I think we paid under $40 for all four of us with a few beers on the tab as well.

If you live in or around Tucson, I believe that this is one place that you should not miss. The inexpensive nature of this restaurant should not downplay the deliciousness of their food.

No comments: