Sunday, November 30, 2008

Seri Melaka: Tucsonian Malaysian (Baba-Nyonya)

Leave it to Auntie Cynthia...she knows Tucson like the back of her hand. I never cease to be amazed by her selection in restaurants and knowledge of the local cuisine...it is something I am working toward here in Indy. After a day trip to Mount Lemmon Cynthia suggested that we go to Seri Melaka. Given I had never before had Malaysian cuisine, it seemed the only option given Cynthia's knowledge of Tucson's sprawling vegetarian scene.

I found that 'Baba-Nyonya' refers to the '...assimilation of cultures distinct to Malaysia and Singapore in South-east Asia' (directly from their web site). What I also found was a wonderful selection of appetizers, soups, and entrees as well as a fixed price (prix fixe) fare. I would normally always recommend a fixed price meal as it allows you to sample a variety of items without breaking the bank. Please be sure to read the 'dining tips' section on their web site. I think that this is not only insightful for this restaurant, but it is also a great rule of thumb for going to many other restaurants as well.

After reading the lengthy menu, I wanted to give the 'Rojak' appetizer a spin. Cynthia recommended it, so we ordered it. When it arrived, it was basically a salad with jicama, cucumber, lettuce, tofu, potatoes (roasted and served cold), and egg patty with warm peanut sauce. The peanut sauce was good, and the salad was the right size for the three of us to share. Had one of us eaten it by ourselves, we would not have been able to eat much else.

My wife and Cynthia both had chosen for the fixed price fare. Both had chosen the spicy tofu curry (can't say that I blame them) with spring rolls. Cynthia wanted 'egg flower' (essentially eggs drop) soup, and my wife had hot and sour (one of her favorite soups). I did sample both soups and found them both to contain all the elements that each should. The egg flower soup was thick and slightly salty. I have found some egg drop soups in the past to be either too salty or not enough. Seri Melaka's was right on the money. The hot and sour was also tasty. I found it to be spicier than many that I have had in the past, but I prefer this. Coupled with ample tofu, bamboo, and mushrooms, the thick soup would satisfy many palates as the perfect accompaniment to a meal.

Both also received a traditional spring roll (rice paper, lettuce, veggies, tofu, etc.). Brandi let me sample her spring roll, and it was probably one of the better spring rolls I have had. The sauce that came with the spring roll was quite spicy and peaked my interest almost immediately. The veggies were cool and crisp also. An order of two of these bad boys was around $3. That is a steal in my opinion.

Since both ladies chose the fixed price fare, I had to be different. I decided to give one of the ala carte options a try. I ordered 'sang mee', which coincidentally is not listed on their web site. Sang mee was comprised of broccoli, peas, carrots, bok choy, cabbage, red pepper, and crispy fried thin egg noodles. I like to eat my food as spicy as possible, so when asked, I requested for them to make my food, as they would prefer it. They were happy to oblige. I added tofu for about $1, I think.

The combination of the sauce, spices (and spice level...nitro!), vegetables, tofu, and crispy noodles was delicious. Brandi and Cynthia had rice with their meal, but I did not want or need any. The portion of food was more than enough, and I ended up taking quite a bit home with me. I reheated it the next day, and it was just as tasty as what it was when it was served to me the first time. Cynthia has repeatedly said that this is her favorite Malaysian restaurant, and I think that Tucson agrees with her (as do I). There are at least two of these restaurants in Tucson owned by the same family.

The value here is A+. All three of us were pleasantly full (without overdoing it) as we left. Brandi and Cynthia both had dessert with the fixed price fare (' burbur cha cha' which is a warm, sweet tapioca made with butter, honey, coconut). I think that our bill, with tip, was around $80 for three people (appetizer, soup, entrees, beers, drinks, and dessert). The service was great, drinks were refilled often, and our waitress was friendly. This was a fantastic first experience in Malaysian dining.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

There was a Malaysian restaurant here briefly, on Michigan Road. I never got to try it, sadly. We did have Malaysian in Washington DC. I don't think we ordered the right things, because neither of us were very impressed, and the restaurant had some very good reviews. Perhaps some of the items are acquired tastes.

Mike said...

what did you have? anything unusual?

Kevin said...

I don't remember what she ordered. I had a dish that was just like deep fried chicken, with very little spice. I mean, ya, I like fried chicken, but that's not what I was looking for.

We had better luck with the Ethiopian place in DC. Have you been to Abyssinia here in Indy? I bet you would dig it.