Monday, December 15, 2008

WB Pizza: Indianapolis Gourmet Pizza

I used to think that pizza was all the same. You could choose Donatos, Papa John's, or if you are feeling really adventurous, Pizza Hut. Indianapolis has never been known for its pizza, but there are a few (Some Guys, Bazbeaux's) that really shine in Indianapolis. WB Pizza is one of those.

A few years ago, a friend of mine started driving for WB Pizza at 62ndth and Allisonville. "It is good", he said. "You should try it.", he said. I have always been more adventurous with food, so we did. My wife and I order WB Pizza probably more than any other pizza place. It's a little more costly than your typical pizza joint, but it is always well worth the money.

I have eaten at WB's more times than I can count, so I am coming from a very bias position. Will Barnes, the owner, has a fantastic menu that builds on traditional pizza styles yet offers a breadth of vegetarian specialties. Will offers many crust types to choose from: traditional, ultra thin, deep dish, Chicago style (sauce on top of cheese), and De Napoli. My wife and I have sampled damn near all of them (except for De Napoli), and we find them to satisfy us always.

Recently, we ordered pizza from them as part of a small holiday party. I ordered the San Diego, and it was tremendously good. The artichoke hearts were massive, and the jalapenos were hot. Even the meat eaters complimented WB for the delicious veggie pizza. Some even said they preferred it over the Calgary that we ordered as well.

I can't say that I have ever ordered anything from WB that was not good. Just check them out. You will be happy that you did.

6 comments:

Kevin said...

I would have tried the San Diego, but jalapenos frighten me, sadly. I'm still smarting from the time I thought one was a green bean. A full-on head explosion commenced.

Mike said...

yeah...there is a huge difference between green beans and jalapenos. it does not take a lot to realize that. was the other stuff good as well? it was from WB, so i assumed so. i think we killed all three of those pies.

Kevin said...

Actually, the meat one wasn't the best. It was too greasy. First WB pizza I've had that I have ever found a fault with. I still consider them one of the best in town, though.

Anonymous said...

And don't forget they cook vegan stuff! It's one of the few places I know I can send vegans for a meal.

Mike said...

Yep...their vegan friendly menus is awesome too!

Erin said...

WB combines beer and cheese, has awesome bruschetta with huge chunky fresh garlic, and the only plain garlic bread worth bothering with (I usually go for garlic bread with cheese, but this stuff melts in your mouth.)

Love, love love WB. Also check out Giorgio's downtown for NY style, Sal's in Brownsburg for buttery golden crust deliciousness, and Jockamo's in Irvington for the latest pizza incarnation brought forth by (yet more) Bazbeaux alums. Pizza owns me.